One thing I forgot to mention this fall was my pumpkin obsession. I made the most perfect ever pumpkin pie – my first one!
Don’t mind the slightly burnt crust 🙂 The pie itself was wonderful, no burnt spots or weird custard valleys. Husband approved.
This was an accidental pie. I was making another pumpkin dessert (apparently I decided not to document it) that called for the pumpkin pie mixture, but accidently doubled it. I just happened to have pie crust, so I took a chance and made this pie. Oh, and by accidently doubled it, I mean I had a brain lapse and thought I needed double the pumpkin. I didn’t have enough evaporated milk so I used skim for half. It turned out fine. The other dessert was a sort of pumpkin bars – you pour the pumpkin pie mixture into a 9×13 pan and sprinkle with a box of cake mix. The official recipe calls for a white cake, but I used chocolate and it was still great.
I also made a lot of pumpkin oatmeal.
This is great for breakfast. I roughly used a recipe found here – she makes hers a little healthier, but I needed some more sugar. This was for breakfast after all!
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal (uncooked) – not quick cook
- 1 cup pumpkin (or a can)
- 1 3/4 c milk
- 2 eggs (or 3, if you want more protein and a more quiche feel)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1/3 c brown sugar (more or less, depending on how sweet you want it)
- Optional: raisins, marshmallows, almonds, walnuts, chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Grease a 9×9 pan – use a 9×13 if you are going with 3 eggs.
- Beat milk and eggs, add vanilla, pumpkin and pie spice.
- Add oats
- Add any optional ingredients if you are using them, pour into pan and sprinkle with more brown sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes – just make sure it’s not runny.
This is great warm, right out of the oven. I like to make it on Sunday and eat it all week for breakfast. Also great if you’re having company.
The other pumpkin-riffic recipe I made was pumpkin butter – which also did not make it to the photo shoot. I followed a recipe on AllRecipes.com – I just kinda stumbled across it and was interested. It is delicious on toast.